Travel and Hotel Logistics for the Summit in Atlanta
The Envisioning the Future: Allies in Self-Advocacy summit in Atlanta will be held at the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel. The summit will start at 8am on Thursday, March 10 and go until 3pm on Friday, March 11. It is recommended that team members arrive the night before (Wednesday, March 9), so the entire team is present and ready for the early morning start time on March 10. The agenda is scheduled to allow team members to leave directly after the summit ends on Friday, and hopefully be back home that evening. Breakfast and lunch will be provided both days as well as a reception with heavy appetizers on the evening of March 10.
The Sheraton Atlanta Hotel is the host hotel of the ‘Envisioning the Future: Allies in Self-Advocacy’ summit in Atlanta, Georgia.
Telephone Number: 404-659-6500
The Sheraton Atlanta Hotel is located in the heart of downtown, just 2 blocks away from the nearest MARTA stop. Click on the map to view a Google Map of hotel location.
Deadline for hotel reservations: Monday, February 28
Room rate: $129/night
Nights available: Wednesday, March 9 and Thursday, March 10 (checking out Friday, March 11)
- Reserve a room online here. The left-hand side of the page will automatically bring up the group code E2747 and the negotiated rate of $129. Enter your arrival and departure dates and check availability.
- Reserve a room by phone: Call the reservations department at 404-659-6500 and ask for the Self-Advocacy Summit Room Block at the The Sheraton Atlanta Hotel.
- Reserve an ADA accessible room: per our contract, the hotel is holding all of their ADA rooms within our room block. There are a limited number of these rooms, however, so please book early. The online reservation site does not provide space for specific details such as “roll-in shower”, so please use the phone reservation process above to book an ADA room. Often times hotel staff are not aware of the different “levels” or types of rooms, and assume that all ADA rooms are the same. It is important to be specific with what accommodations you need.
If you have questions or encounter problems in booking with the hotel, please first contact your state team leader. If the team lead still encounters problems have them contact Hillary Spears at AUCD at 301-588-8252.
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport- ATL
6000 North Terminal Parkway, Suite 4000, Atlanta, GA 30320
Click here for a map of inside the airport
The main telephone number for the Atlanta International Airport is: 1-800-897-1910 (Voice). Do not call the airport regarding tickets, luggage restrictions, travel visa requirements, flight arrival or departure times, or any other issue which should be taken up with the particular airline with which you intend to travel. In those cases and for creating accessible accommodations, contact your airline directly. Most airline websites are linked to from the main terminal map page on this website.
- There is a $30 set rate for taxicab service between the airport to downtown Atlanta. There is a $2 per-person rate which applies for two or more passengers.
- Taxicab service is located in the Yellow Bus aisle in the “Ground Transportation Area” at the airport (this is at the West end of the airport). Click here for map.
- For more taxicab information and questions please call 404-530-6674.
Wheelchair Accessible Van Services
- Checker Cab is the first transportation company in the state of Georgia to provide wheelchair accessible taxi vans. Click here to view the Checker Cab website.
- You must reserve the vans 24 hours BEFORE you need it. Please call 404-351-1111 to reserve a van. When booking a van, please notify dispatch personnel if you are in need of a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
- Click here for driving directions
- Parking is $10.00 per day for self-parking. Valet parking is $27 per day.
- Should you need further assistance, please contact the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel’s Concierge Desk at 678-686-6479
Traveling via MARTA (the underground rail system)
- Click here for MARTA’s website and map.
- MARTA’s airport station is attached to the Airport, right off baggage claim. One way fares are only $2.00 and within 20 minutes, you can be downtown. To get to the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel you can take either the red or yellow line north to Peachtree Center Station, stop #N1.
- Sheraton Atlanta Hotel is located at Peachtree Center Station, stop #N1. Once you exit your train, you want to proceed to the escalators on the north end of the train station (if you travel south, go left. If you travel north go right). Once through the exit gates, go to the long escalator to your right. Follow to the street level. Once on the street level, go left toward the Hard Rock Café. Turn left at the Hard Rock Cafe, that will be Andrew Young International Boulevard. Walk 2 blocks and the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel will be on the right at the intersection of International Boulevard and Courtland Street.
- Each rail station is accessible with special, wide fare-gates for persons with disabilities. Escalators and elevators are located between the rail, bus and street levels at each station. Each train has a special wheelchair space at one end of each rail car.
Atlanta is the capital and most populous city in the U.S. state of Georgia. It is considered to be a top business city and is a primary transportation hub of the Southeastern United States via highway, railroad, and air. Atlanta, as the cultural capital of the Southeast, is home to a thriving entertainment and performing arts industry. In 2010, American Style Magazine ranked Atlanta as the ninth-best city for the arts. Atlanta enjoys a climate of around 55⁰F in March.